Thursday, August 30, 2007

Quilt (ing) or (in) Progress


The work on Quilt No. 4 has started.

Alex got out the blocks last night and started playing. She selected 20 with a geometric theme and started pinning them up on the "design wall" (cough splutter).



Is it just me, or do those blocks in the top right and bottom left corners look like swastika's?



This quilt is being made for a nephew of Judy in the States who I came across on Stashbusters. She mentioned he had got leukaemia on the group sometime ago and I approached her off list to ask if she would mind if I made a quilt for him.

This is going to be alot quicker than the others as I am sending her the flimsy, top, or whatever you call it and she is going to finish it off.

7 comments:

de vliegende koe said...

I can see what you mean Clare, they really look like swastika’s!

Jane Weston said...

I'm afraid to say those two blocks were the first my eye saw and they do look like swastikas.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

As I was scrolling down your blog looking at the photos before reading your words or the comments I was shocked at what I saw. Being Jewish all I see are the swastikas. I hope you do not use the blocks.

Hedgehog said...

Someone just posted about how the swastika was a positive symbol in many cultures before the Nazis hijacked it on a quilt blog... Can't remember where. I remember learning about that when I visited the Carlsberg brewery in Denmark - they have an elephant that predates the 3rd Reich there and explained that it was an ancient Indian symbol.

I think, though, that the Nazi use is just too powerful for any other use these days. I'd chop them up and rearrange them somehow so you can still use them without causing any offense.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

Hedgehog you are correct the symbol started as an Indian symbol way before the Nazi used it. Old homes here in Chicago have it in stone and it was done before Nazi turned it into a symbol of hatred.

Lily said...

Yes Swastikas are hindu symbols (of good luck, life and love I believe), but out of context they are very confronting. I would find another way to use them for sure :)

Helen in the UK said...

They do look like Swastika and may be offensive when seen out of context. They seem to be 4 railfence blocks sewn together - could you unpick them and arrange 2 railfence with 2 plain red pieces to make them look different. You would then get 4 blocks that wouldn't have such negative feelings attached. Hope this suggestion helps :)